Monday, April 5, 2010

Ahh Candles...

Relaxing, isn't it?

The last time (and really, the only time) I have ever made candles was back in about the 4th grade.  It was part of an after school project where some wierdo teacher was trying to keep a million little kids occupied until their parents came to save her from their crazy, rambunctious elementary ways.  I remember there being a crock-pot full of molten wax as each of us were handed a large wick and instructed to "dunk" repeatedly until our candle had filled out to look something remotely like a taper. Apparently that's how the pioneers made their candles...or something educational-ly sounding like that. I can't recall liking that project very much, but I did enjoy making my own melt-and-pour candles. 

I followed the instructions from Ann Marie's Soap Queen TV spot. (You can view her instructions here.) She made holiday travel candles, but I made mine in tropical scents. Gotta love the coconut!  The process was super easy and now I've got 4 great new candles to enjoy.  Can't beat that.

I used a special soy wax that is microwavable, but if you can't find it, just melt your wax in a double boiler.  You might also notice that I choose not to add any colorant to my candles, just the fragrances which come in the blocks suspended in wax. Melt the wax in the microwave, add fragrance, pour into the containers...it's that simple.  Below, I have a photo that shows what the candles look like right after they've been poured as well as what they look like once the wax has set up.


So far they've been burning great. Nice and even, with a pleasant mild scent.  This project was definitely a winner.

No comments: