Monday, November 22, 2010

My little buttercup

This week I refer you to Made By Rae to make her cute buttercup bag.  Included in her pdf download is the pattern pieces you'll need, and full instructions.  I chose to make the free version, but if you purchase the pattern, it comes in a second size as well.  If you have experience sewing you can probably get away without downloading the diagrams, but they do come in handy if you get stuck.

Here's how mine turned out:




















Full materials cost for this project:  A whopping $3.00.  My only complaint is that the free version is a little on the small side. I'm assuming the second pattern included with the purchased version is larger, though I don't know for sure. I can fit my wallet, check book, and cell phone, but that's pretty much it.  It's definitely not the type of purse for ladies that carry their life around.

Also, her instructions for sewing the purse together were very clear, but I was unhappy with how she was attaching the straps.  If you want a more polished way to secure them, before you sew the outer and inner sections together, pin the strap around the exterior of the outer section, leaving about half an inch of fabric sticking up above the top on either side. (See diagram below.) Center the strap right over the side seams to help line it up and pin it in place.  Then put the exterior section (with the strap) inside the liner as instructed and sew around the top edge of the bag. Follow the instructions given for turning and finishing the bag.
Enjoy your cute new purse!

No comments: