Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Great Cake Debate

I need a fantastic recipe for white cake. It needs to be flavorful, and moist, while also being able to hold it's shape well, since it will most likely be required to travel. I have high standards for my recipe because this will be the most important cake of all my life.  That's right folks...it will be my wedding cake.  And I am going to MAKE IT!!

This week I did a trial run of the first recipe candidate in the form of cupcakes.  I also tested out a new frosting recipe and dazzled the top with coconut. Safe to say that neither recipe is "the one" for the big day, but they are pretty tasty none-the-less.


For the cupcakes, I used the Simple White Cake recipe that I found at allRecipes.com.  It's a very dense cake, but was sort of grainy.  While it didn't taste like cornbread, that's what it felt like in your mouth.  It tastes great though, so if you're looking for quick and easy cupcakes for junior's next birthday party give 'em a try.  The recipe was just enough to make 12 perfect cupcakes.

The second recipe I tried was the Coconut Fluff Icing from Wilton.com. I didn't have any coconut extract though, so I used almond instead.  It behaves like whipped cream and tastes like marshmallows.  It's pretty yummy, but not even close to what I want for the big day. 

Have a recipe you think I should try?  Send me a note and I'll bake it up!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Hi Kacie,
Your cupcakes look so yummie, mmm

I've found a recipe for champagne flavoured cupcakes, something for you? Take a peek at this blolg:

http://www.nofussfabulous.com/?cat=682

I'm realy curious what kind of cake will be the winner, so I will follow your blog to find out.
Have fun baking, greetz Sandra

ps I'm also in the bamcal 2011 group :)